Do you need to build, modify, remove or repair a driveway crossover?


A driveway crossover (also referred to as a vehicle crossing, vehicular crossing or driveway crossing) is the section of the construction pathway between the road and the property (including any kerb and channel and footpath) which you use to get your vehicle from the road to the driveway on your property. The driveway crossover belongs to the owner of the property to which it provides access regardless of the fact that it is outside the property.

In Victoria, the construction and maintenance of the crossing is the responsibility of the property owner who requires vehicle access to the street. If you need a Melbourne driveway crossover built or repaired, then there are some things you’ll need to consider first. Luckily for you, that’s what we’re going to be discussing in today’s blog!

Building and repairing a driveway crossover

The process of building or repairing the crossover is not that much different from a standard driveway. The main differences are the fact that the crossover will have a downward slope leading to the street. A good driveway crossover must also allow room for water to enter the drains below the kerbs – so water doesn’t pool up.

You can also decide whether or not you want your driveway crossover to match your driveway or blend in with the footpath more-so. This part is entirely up to you, but you must ensure that your local councils regulations allow it – as well as be sure not to damage any public property like the road or footpath whilst doing it. Repairing or modifying the crossover is also a fairly similar process to restoring a driveway or footpath – if the crossover resembles a footpath more than a driveway.

Removing the crossover requires paving over the entire thing and making it level again. As there’s no crossover, there’s no need for it to dip onto the road anymore. A new kerb will also have to be shaped to seamlessly integrate to the rest of the footpath.


Obtaining council approval for your crossover

Constructing a driveway generally involves crossing council land and in most cases a permit is required before you can construct a new or replacement driveway crossover. You will need to apply for a permit with your local council.

If you construct a driveway crossover in Victoria without a council permit or approval, then you may be required to reconstruct it or remove it entirely. This is also the case if the crossing is not constructed to Council standards. If the driveway crossover is removed the footpath, nature strip, kerb and channel must be reinstated in accordance with the Local Government Act 1989 (clause 12 of schedule 10).


driveway crossover melbourne

Often, you will be able to find out about the application process and any provisions your local Council has for vehicle crossings in their local laws and any municipal crossover policies on their website. Please note that a permit fee may be required.

Most councils detail the driveway crossover specifications which must be adhered to on their website. These specifications include things like the required distance from a street corner and existing street furniture (such as poles, hydrants and bus shelters) and the minimum width of the crossover.

In most cases, council specifications indicate that industrial/commercial vehicle crossings must, at minimum, be either:

  • at least 150mm thick and made of concrete reinforced with SL82 mesh as per Australian Standard 4671:2001


  • at least 200mm thick and made of unreinforced concrete

It is important to note that this is just a minimum, and most Councils do not recommend that crossings be constructed to minimum thicknesses. You may have to arrange for an inspection of the driveway crossover as part of the application process. Your Council may require a person carrying out the crossover works to be supervised by a Council officer, to ensure the crossing is constructed to their satisfaction.


Road closure and planning permits

You may also need a road closure permit and/or a planning permit before a vehicle crossing permit – depending on Council policy and the classification of the street you are building the crossing on. Whether the property is in a heritage area or whether the crossing will access a VicRoads declared main road are things to factor in.

It is best to contact your local council to find out exactly what the procedure is for obtaining approval and relevant permits when building, modifying, removing or repairing a driveway crossover. An example of some information that may need to be provided is:

  • Your address – or the address of the property that the driveway crossover will be worked on;
  • A sketch or illustrated plan showing all the variables and measurements of the area; and
  • Your contact details or the contact details of the contractor that will be carrying out the work.

As the owner of the property that the driveway crossover leads into, you’re responsible for the work that goes on. So, you’ll be liable for any damages that are made to the footpath/road or any public property. This is important because as you’ll not be performing the work yourself, you’re going to want to hire a professional concrete contractor that you can trust and will do the job efficiently.

Do you need a driveway crossover built or repaired?

When planning the construction of your new driveway, it’s a good idea to consult concreting contractors with experience in driveway crossovers. At Prestige Concrete, we have over 20 years’ experience in providing concreting services including driveway crossover solutions in Melbourne, Werribee, Point Cook, and Geelong. We pride ourselves on our high-quality workmanship and affordable prices. We only use fully qualified and highly professional contractors that will work with you to help you achieve your desired goal and make your vision a reality.

If you’re interested in having a driveway crossover built or repaired in Melbourne, then please give us a call on 0411 440 157 or send us an enquiry by filling out the form on our website.