Admittedly, concrete doesn’t exactly have a reputation as a particularly interesting topic of conversation. However, at Prestige Concrete Services, we’re pretty passionate about concrete and we think you should be too. To pique your interest, we’ve uncovered 10 interesting facts we guarantee you didn’t know about concrete.
- Concrete was first used in Egypt 5,000 years ago
In fact, you can still see the first structures built using concrete, as it was originally used as an infill material for the famous pyramids.
- We forgot how to make concrete for over 1,300 years
The formula for modern concrete was discovered by the Romans, but this important construction method was forgotten about and wasn’t re-discovered until 1796.
- China is by far the world’s biggest concrete consumer
In fact, it’s estimated that between 2011 and 2013, China used more cement (6.6 gigatons) than the United States of America did during the entire 20th century (4.5 gigatons).
- Thomas Edison got very experimental with the uses for concrete
At his peak, Edison held an impressive 49 concrete patents and experimented with creating concrete houses, furniture, pianos and even refrigerators.
- Concrete ships were a thing
Although it’s a somewhat unorthodox shipbuilding material, concrete has been used to build everything from a dingy to WW1 warships.
- Concrete is the most used building material in the world
5 billion cubic yards of concrete are produced globally every year. It is used twice as much as any other construction material.
- In some rare circumstances, concrete can occur naturally
Concrete is made out of raw shale and limestone and in some natural circumstances, these two ingredients can come in contact with on another. In Israel, there is an enormous deposit of natural concrete thought to be around 12 million years old.
- Concrete was not used as a road surfacing material until 1909
Prior to this, concrete has chiefly been used as a building material. The first concrete roadway was constructed in Michigan.
- Scented concrete is now the norm
Construction companies commonly used scented form release agents to give concrete a more pleasant smell. The most famous of these is bubble gum.
- The Three Gorges Dam in China is the largest concrete structure in the world
This hydroelectric dam on the Yangtze River is made from and impressive 654,576,231,43 kg of concrete.
Prestige Concrete Services are well established concrete contractors in Melbourne. To learn more about our services, call 0411 440 157.